Oz Adventures
Speak to an Australia & NZ Expert - call
0333 234 3941
Mon-Fri: 9.30-7, Sat 9:30-5 or enquire online
Freedom Australia
Print Header

Travel Guide

To visit Australia or New Zealand you will need a full British passport, which should be valid for 6 months after your intended return.

For Australia, in addition to your passport, you will need a Visa or ETA (electronic travel authority). ETA's last for 12 months for multiple stays of up to three months each visit. We can obtain these for you at a cost of £14 per adult. Longer stays require a 6 or 12 month working visa - call for details.

Working Holiday Visa
Australia's Working Holiday program provides opportunities for people aged between 18 and 30 years to holiday in Australia for 1 year and to supplement their travel funds through short-term employment. Click here to find out more.

Travellers over 18 are entitled to a duty-free allowance of drink and cigarettes. Any amount of cash may be taken in or out of Australia or New Zealand but amounts over $10000 must be declared. Foodstuffs, plant or animal products must also be declared on arrival.

Australia and New Zealand are modern countries with good standards of health care and hygiene. No vaccinations are required unless you are travelling from a yellow fever area. You should consult your GP if you are planning a stopover en route and for advice.

To drive in Australia or New Zealand you will need your full UK driving licence. Like us, they drive on the left and their roads are wide, well signed, well maintained and, out of the cities, extremely quiet. Cars are usually air-conditioned and seat belts are compulsory. There are clean public toilets almost everywhere - in rest areas, national parks and even the smallest outback towns.

There are 100 cents to both the Australian and New Zealand dollars. Although goods are priced in single cents, this is often rounded to the nearest 5c. Bank hours are similar to those in the UK and most have cash dispensers. Visa, Mastercard, Diners and Amex cards are widely accepted.

Not the custom in Australia or New Zealand and porters, taxi drivers and hairdressers do not expect tips. In restaurants it is usual to tip up to 10% if you have received good service.

As in the UK, supply is 220-240 volts, 50Hz AC. However sockets are different and you'll need an adaptor.

At all times of the year the sun can be strong and prolonged exposure can be harmful. Apply a high protection sun screen to exposed areas and wear a hat or shirt with a collar - Australians do! Popular beaches around Australia are patrolled by volunteer Surf Life Saving Associations. If available, always swim within the marked areas and if unsure, ask for advice.

Travel Links
Further information about travelling abroad can be obtained from the following websites:

www.ukpa.gov.uk - The UK Passport Office
www.doh.gov.uk/traveladvice - the Department of Health
www.fco.gov.uk - the Foreign & Commonwealth Office for advise on overseas travel
www.abta.com/benefits.html - the Association of British Travel Agents consumer advice
www.atol.org.uk - the Civil Aviation Authority ATOL protection scheme
www.visas-australia.com - for working holiday visas